Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Ocean

I always say I wouldn't care if I moved away from Rhode Island. I'm not a "beach person" and frankly, I would rather have rolling, green fields (full of horses!) than the coastline.

But I can't deny that I do like spending time near the ocean. When I lived in the "crack house" a few years ago, Narragansett Beach was right down the road and so I'd often spend time walking along or sitting on the sea wall. Something about the salty air, the freshness of it, not to mention the sound and hypnotic motion of the waves is calming. I've read that there are more negative ions in ocean air and that literally does have a relaxing affect; maybe there is some truth to that. All I know is that I probably *would* miss having easy access to the beach if it suddenly wasn't there anymore.

The ocean is a good reminder of interconnectedness too, as well as the notion of aimlessness. The purpose of the ocean is to just be the ocean, just as our purpose is to be ourselves. Yes, we all have obligations and jobs and blah blah blah but it's all kind of useless if you can't just be in the present moment. Well, in any case, on the sea wall is when I first started seriously reading about Buddhism and actually understanding it, so being there takes me back to those "aha" moments.


********

Well, today is probably my last riding lesson for a few weeks. Even if I don't change barns, I need a few weeks off so I can put the extra money towards the Kripalu trip. I am going to miss my Goober, but I'll have to stop by once a week or so to bring him treats. ^__^

1 comment:

  1. Well, when I have millions of dollars, you can have both because my dream was always to own one of those giant farms in Matunuck, that leads straight to the ocean. Farm + Ocean, equals best of everything.

    Now we just need millions and millions of dollars lol.

    ReplyDelete