Monday, May 4, 2009

Chhhhhhhhhh

The c is not an accident!

I have no idea what I'm talking about, lol.

Today was not really a good day. I drove to Warwick, hoping Barnes and Noble would have some newer editions of a few magazines, but no such luck. In any case, I found a few things I would have like to buy, but then I reconsidered. I could definitely use the money for other things, so I put everything back. Decisions, decisions.

Then I came home and played WoW. All day. And in the course of all this, I only ate a Prana Bar (like a granola bar, but all raw ingredients) and a double berry scone from Sophie's all day. It is no surprise then why my mood took a nose dive as the afternoon went on. :/ I scarfed down a few snacks (a few dates, some Joe Joes) but didn't eat anything else substantial until right now, after going grocery shopping. I just made a quick, microwaved mix of frozen mixed veggies, seitan, salsa and a glob of guacamole for some savoriness. I threw in a few drops of Frank's Red Hot and then ate it up with organic blue corn chips. Surprise, I already feel better. ~_~

There has been one matter on my mind, however, and that is: I think it may be time for me to switch barns. When I first started riding again, last September, it had tentatively been my plan *anyway* not to stay at this place forever. I simply wanted to get back into riding shape and then I'd make the switch over to a barn that's more advanced.

Well, I think it's that time. There's nothing wrong with this current place, but if I stay here, my riding is *not* going to advance at all. I like my instructor, but she's definitely more used to dealing with beginners and sometimes I feel like she doesn't quite know what to do with me-- I end up making a lot of own instructions (like silently deciding to do Figure 8's or leg yields. . .stuff like that). And you already know I love, love, love the horse that I ride, but poor Dandy is not and never will be capable of doing anything more than a basic walk, trot, and canter. He just never had the training when he was younger to say, move in a dressage frame and it's obvious he gets unhappy when I ask him to. Plus, I wouldn't mind jumping again, as that's what I was primarily into back in the day, and there's only one horse at the barn that is capable of doing so. This barn simply isn't geared towards jumping anyway-- they don't have any real fences or jump standards. . .just a few cavalettis that max out at 18" or so, tops.

I think I know the barn that I want to switch to; I've known several people who have ridden with this trainer and gave her good reviews all around. Plus, lessons are only $10 more for a full hour of riding, so that's a better deal in the long run. So. . .not sure when I'm going to give this place a call and I'm *definitely* not sure how I'm going to leave my current place. Truthfully, I did want to take a few weeks off before we go to Kripalu so I can use what would have been riding money as "vacation money" so maybe after that I can just say that I need to take some time off for financial reasons. . .dunno. I have a feeling it wouldn't be taken well if I came out with my real reason, even though I don't mean any ill will towards anyone there. :\

So, that's my little dilemma of the moment.

This past Saturday evening, Travis and I went to Rhodes on the Pawtuxet in Cranston for the RI Heritage Hall of Fame's banquet. One of the professors we both had, Professor Molloy, was inducted for the contributions he has made as a labor activist, a professor, and a historian. The ceremony was okay. . .sure enough he was the next to last person to be inducted and by that time I was starting to get sleepy, lol. I absolutely think he has earned the accolades and if any of you current URI students have an extra 3 credits you need to use up, I highly recommend taking the History of Labor. I'm not exaggerating when I say that that class was life changing for me. It wasn't a topic I had seriously thought about before and every class had so much food for thought --

and dammit, I gotta go. Will finish at some point!

No comments:

Post a Comment